Illinois Producer Information

Producer Moving to or From Illinois


Moving To or From Illinois

Moving to Illinois

If you are applying for an Illinois resident producer license and are licensed in another state, you may be exempt from certain Illinois examination and educational requirements.

An individual who applies for an insurance producer license in this state who is licensed for the same lines of authority in another state shall not be required to complete any pre-licensing education or examination.  This exemption is only available if the person currently licensed in that state or if the application is received within 90 days after the cancellation of the applicant’s previous license. 

The Department will verify licensure in the previous state using the producer database. If you have not held a license during the past 12 months you must take Parts 1 & 2 of the Illinois Insurance exam.  You will also be required to successfully complete a pre-licensing course of study for each line of authority for which you wish to be licensed. You must apply by paper – Resident Uniform application Examination Handbook: PDF & Supplement


Moving from Illinois

You must obtain your new resident producer license in your home state within 30 days of leaving Illinois.  Please contact the Department and let us know that you have obtained your license in your new state, if it is within the 30 day window we will convert your resident producer license to a non-resident producer license at no charge.  The new license will become effective the date of notification and finish the term of the resident license.

If you miss the 30 day window you will have to fill out our application and pay the nonresident fee of $250.

PLEASE NOTE:  These directions do not apply to temporary licenses.

Link to paper application – PDF